If you find yourself in the middle of a carbon monoxide emergency, here are a few tips to keep your home and family safe.

Looking to buy in the Salt Lake City Area? Get a full Home Search
Looking to sell in the Salt Lake City Area? Get a free Home Equity Report

After many years of talking about carbon monoxide detectors in homes, I actually had a potential carbon monoxide problem in my own home recently and panicked and didn’t know what to do.

One of my kids turned on a stove burner to boil water and didn’t realize the flame didn’t light. I was in a different part of the house at the time, so before I smelled the gas, it had already been leaking into most of my house for a good 10 minutes.

All it took for me was a little Googling to solve this problem but if this kind of thing happens to you and catches you off guard, here’s what you need to do to keep everyone in your house safe.

“TAKING CARE OF THESE TASKS CAN MEAN THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN TRAGEDY AND NEAR-TRAGEDY.”

First, open all of the windows regardless of how cold it is. Then shut off all the gas appliances. After that, check everyone in the home for signs of carbon monoxide poisoning. Symptoms include lack of consciousness, vomiting, or nausea. If none of those symptoms are present, evacuate the house and allow the home to air out. You can call the fire department and have them check the home for leaks if you’re not sure where yours is coming from. If this happens during winter, make sure you turn the furnace off.

Taking care of a few simple things can mean the difference between tragedy and near-tragedy. Lastly, remember to have up-to-date smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in your home.

If you have any questions about carbon monoxide safety, don’t hesitate to reach out to me. I’d be happy to speak with you.